Saturday, November 27, 2010

I Wanted to Quit...

But I didn't. Running 20 miles by yourself can get lonely. Though it was a lovely fall day and the course was nice, the last 4 miles was a war of attrition. At mile 18, I really wanted to pack it up and call it a day. But... I'm too dumb for that... I just kept going. The last 4 miles of today's run really was much like the Ironman shuffle. It culminates the highest volume week of running that I've ever had in my entire life.

I am on a mens retreat up in Pikesville, MD. We had a five hour block of personal time from 12:30 to 5:30. So, I scoped out a good trail that is about 15 minutes away from here by car. The North Central Railroad Trail is well marked and very peaceful. I highly recommend running it if out in the area. I think it was a good training run for the Rehoboth Beach Marathon as it was flat and was a crushed gravel, hard packed trail. Today was windy and cold but I was bundled up just right and did not have problems with being cold.

It was a 10 mile out and back.

3:08:05
9:24 minute miles

First 10 Mile Split
1:30:40
HR 140
9:04 minute miles

1:37:25
HR 144
9:44 minute miles

Though the pace was slower than previous long runs, I did a track workout Sunday and two 9.58 mile runs this week... Tuesday and Thursday. So... I came into today without much rest at all. Now we taper for that marathon and I do believe a sub-4 hour time is doable.

No comments:

Post a Comment