Sunday, September 12, 2010

Great Things about Triathlon

Ever have the mind wander during training runs? On today's run I thought about something... over the past month, I've run along the Boardwalk on the shore of the Atlantic Ocean, run along the National Mall and around the shore of Deep Creek Lake in Western Maryland. It was one of the really great things about triathlon. Doing activities in different places... some of them very scenic and beautiful. If I let it, sometimes I feel at one with nature. Out in the elements... no cell phone... no one asking for any of my time... just me, the conditions and the activity. All in concert.

I ventured out on the Half Full run course today. Conditions were wet and it rained for the whole run. I didn't have my heart rate monitor with me and the course was deserted, save for some stray runners around the lake. Definitely a hilly course. And no matter how you slice it... 13.1 miles is a long way. I wound up doing a 10k... 6.2 miles... 58:30. Pace was slow because... well... I'm slow... but it was wet, the course is hilly and I didn't know the course once I got out of Centenniel Park. So, there was a lot of road mark searching and slowing down at turns to make sure I was going the right way.

Yesterday, I rode with Roseann who qualified for Kona at IMAZ last year. We rode the Half Full bike course and I was aiming to do a sub 3 hour time. We wound up doing it in 2:54:33. That's 19.25 mph on a VERY hilly course. Great success.

8:13 am clip in
144 avg. HR
162 max HR
56 miles
avg. cadence 87

This weeks' plan? Here it is:

Mon swim 4 x 500 meter repeats on 15 mins and build each one / ride 30 miles under an 90 mins
Tues 135 deadlift x 10 box jumps on the 24" x 25 3 round, 10 pullups, 10 pushups, 10 kb c&p's each hand 35# / 3 rounds then run 6 miles (threshold)
Wed off
Thur ride 60 miles (threshhold) sub 3hrs
Fri swim as many laps as possible in 30 mins / run 6 miles (endurance)
Sat ride 60 miles (endurance)
Sun run 13 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment